Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Book Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Ok, so I'm on a John Green kick.  I can't help it; he's great.

Former child prodigy Colin Singleton has been dumped by Katherines his whole life.  Nineteen times he has loved a Katherine and nineteen times he has lost a Katherine.  His most recent dumping has made him a little crazy, albeit adventurous.  When his best friend Hassan suggests a road trip to clear his head Colin agrees.  And that is how a heart-broken former child prodigy and his Muslim best friend find themselves in a tampon factory in Gut Shot, Tenn.

John Green, how do I love the?  Let me count the ways: 1.  The characters in this book are smart but real.  2.  The plot is total fantasy (meaning that would never happen fantasy not here comes a dragon fantasy) but totally believable.  3.  There is a moral/ revelation at the end of the book.  4.  The book ends.  No sequel.  This is a good thing.  I hate sequels.  5.  There is a Muslim-American character as a main (and hilarious) character and not just thrown in for the sake of multi-culturalism.  Although Paper Towns is still my favorite, An Abundance of Katherines is hands down my second favorite John Green book. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment