Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One day down...

Inservice day one...YAY!  So, the day opened with a motivational speaker.  He did a great job.  However, I don't know how great of an idea it was to get a coach to speak to a group of librarians.  Don't misunderstand, he was a good speaker; he was just SO LOUD.  I'm not kidding.  He yelled 60% of the time. 

Next, I missed everything.  I gave a presentation to the high school English teachers.  The presentation can be viewed here if you are interested.  http://prezi.com/hsr9eg6abxmk/modernizing-the-research-paper/   I think it went well.  I mean, I wasn't booed or anything.  I do believe I will be stoned to death by fellow school librarians though.  I told the English teachers that librarians should help grade papers.  I honestly believe that if the librarian and the teacher work together on a project then the work should be shared equally.  And that means planning and writing lessons, gathering materials, co-teaching, developing rubrics, and grading papers.  I don't mean to imply that librarians should grade half the research papers in the entire school, but they need to be involved in the education process equally from start to finish.  (See blog post The Embedded Librarian) Some librarians do not want to be involved, and that is a shame. 

After lunch we learned about smiling and being friendly.  We watched a video on library customer service.  It was only about half as cheesey as I expected. J  I guess some people have a problem getting kids to return to their library.  I do not have this problem, or at least I didn’t last year. 

From the motivational speaker and the video session I took away this: treat each student as if they are super important.  I tend to multi-task at the circulation desk.  I need to stop what I am doing so each student (and teacher) who comes to the library feels special. 

1 comment:

  1. I graded bib cards for many years and ppts in the last few years

    ReplyDelete